The Beggar And His Pan Cakes


Once upon a time, in India there lived a beggar with his wife. The couple used to beg   food for the whole day in the village. At night they return home and eat the offerings the collected and go back to sleep. The husband's favorite dish was do Pan-Cakes". I wish I could buy some pan cakes he would constantly say. One day, he got lucky. A kind lady gave him some left-over pan cakes batter. The beggar brought the batter home and found that there was no firewood to cook it on." I will go to the near-by jungle and cut some wood away," he said and went to the forest. When he reached the forest, he found a tree, climbed it, and started to cut a branch with his axe. All the time the beggar was dreaming of delicious pan cakes.

While cutting the trees the beggar suddenly heard a loud roar. To his horror, he saw a fierce demon thundering towards him. "I am the lord of this jungle, and you did not even ask me before cutting the trees!" The terrified man babbled, "Forgive me, sir! I was only cutting firewood for my wife. She is going to make pan cakes for me!" The demon's face changed. Did you say pancakes? I love pan cakes! I will let you go if you promise me to get some pancakes for lunch!" "Gladly!" promised the relived man and hurried home with firewood.

The beggars wife was waiting eagerly for him. She made fire from the wood and prepared several delicious pancakes. The beggar started to eat heartily. "This is so tasty!" exclaimed the man, chewing happily. After eating as much as he can he remembered what the demon said so he asked his wife "I hope there are ten pancakes left for the demon". The wife cried and said that, there was no batter left to make pan cakes for the demon. Oh my god! what do we do now? He’s going to eat us both!" cried the man.

Just then the couple heard the demon approaching their house. His wife hid inside a basket, and he hid behind a pot after locking all the doors. The demon banged on the door." Open up!" he said. Hearing no response, he broke down the door and roared, "Where are my pan cakes?". The couple trembled. The demon searched all the pots for pancakes but in vain as he found nothing. "Nothing here!" he fumed. In a fit of rage, he kicked a vessel. Unfortunately, it was filled with pepper powder. The powder flew into the air and got into his eyes. "My eyes!" he screamed in agony. With his eyes stinging terribly, the demon rushed out of the house. The relived couple came out of hiding. 

1 comment :